Monday, September 25, 2017

Electronics: Crimping with Engineer PA-09


In my last project I had 2 separate PCB panels, binding posts, display panels etc. Loads of wiring between each. The easiest option was to solder these wires permanently among the various parts and be done with it. But, from previous experience I have learnt that this just results in a mess, which is hard to debug, hard to take apart again and incase of one small misplacement of a wire can result in a tangle which may require desoldering etc. This time I was looking for a better way. But, its next to impossible to find premade wires with a combination of connectors I needed. So lo behold crimping.

For crimp connectors for 28 to 24 AWG wires I found the Engineer PA-09 indispensable. Crimping does require some practice but, after you get the hang of it, this tool has a very satisfying and reliable crimp profile (see pictures below). Below, is a video of me crimping Molex crimp sockets for 1" /2.54 mm connector housings onto a 28 AWG ribbon cable. Here I use 2 types of Molex crimp sockets here but, both for housings with 2.54mm pitch.
   

      
          

No comments: